GEN2 Post Insulator Sensors
The Accuracy you need. The Reliability you want.
For over 30 years, Lindsey current and voltage sensing post insulators have been the standard for smart grid applications. Lindsey GEN2 line post sensors incorporate the same high accuracy and reliability of their Polysil® insulation-based for forbearers, while adding many subtle improvements to increase their utility.
New Lineman Friendly Features
- Less than 1/2 the weight of Lindsey Polysil-based sensors.
- Hotstick friendly conductor keeper* with washer-less bolts accommodates a wide range of conductor sizes.
- Glove friendly cable with bayonet-style water proof connectors that “snap” when closed, eliminating over- and under-tightening.
* Patent Pending
Advanced Performance Characteristics
- 0.5% voltage accuracy, with flat harmonic response, and no phase shift. The high accuracy of GEN2 sensors make them ideal for today’s advanced metering and Volt/VAR-control applications where precise knowledge of feeder voltage is critical for economic success.
- 1% current accuracy with no phase shift.
- Voltage and current accuracy is independent of weather and conductor diameter.
- Safe, low voltage, very low current outputs.
- Hydrophobic cycloaliphatic epoxy construction provides superior performance in high pollution and wet environments.
- 30% increase in leakage distance.
- Physical construction that meets all the electrical and mechanical requirements of post insulators providing endless installation options.
Lindsey Traditional Line Post Insulators
Industry standard “Lindsey sensors” have provided the utility industry with exceptionally reliable voltage and current measurements for over 25 years. Highly accurate, with excellent frequency response and no phase shift, Lindsey sensors are embedded in a variety of full mechanical load-rated post insulator configurations provide endless installation options.
Hundreds of thousands of Lindsey’s line of medium voltage resistive voltage divider-based voltage and current sensors have been installed for good reasons:
- Voltage only, current only, and combined voltage-current sensor models
- High voltage accuracy (0.5% standard) provides the confidence needed for today’s demanding Volt and VAR control applications like CVR and VVO
- 1% current accuracy
- Mean time between failure (MTBF) exceeding 10,000 years means true install and forget reliability
- No phase shift on voltage and current measurements
- Versions available for demanding harmonic applications
- Live line installation
Roll over the images below to see the physical configurations available for ease of integration in your application. Find links to Lindsey sensors data sheets at the bottom of this page.
Multicore-style design sensors allow the conductor to be lifted into the sensor, eliminating the need to cut the conductor or make a jumper. Sensors of this style that include current measurements are not recommended for applications where sensing harmonics is required.
Busbar style sensors are fitted with standard 2 or 4 hole NEMA pads, ideal for many substation applications.
Tube style sensors are used where a conductor can be threaded through and clamped to the stainless steel tubes, ideal for many substation applications.
Clamp-top style sensors are tube style sensors that can replace any horizontal or vertical line post insulator. There is no need to cut the conductor, as a jumper passing through the sensing tube provides current sensing.
SVMI (standard voltage monitoring insulator) style sensors are smaller diameter voltage–only sensors intended for applications where voltage sensing may be required on both sides of a recloser or distribution switch. They are also ideal for use where higher accuracy is required than that provided by built-in capacitive voltage dividers.
Sensor to Protective Relay Interface
Lindsey Sensor to Protective Relay Interface
The Lindsey VMT provides a 3-channel interface between 120VAC output Lindsey voltage sensors and low impedance devices such as protective relays, metering devices, and other IEDs.Download PDF
Neutral Current Sensor
Neutral Current Sensor
Lindsey’s neutral current sensor is ideal for sensing unbalances in overhead or padmount distribution capacitor banks.Download PDF